Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thunder Road [Dan Bern / Bruce Springsteen]

Dan Bern is, hands down. my favorite musician ever. If you've head of him, it's likely because you watched the bonus features to  "Walk Hard : The Dewey Cox Story" as he helped write most of the songs for that flick. While he's hilarious at times, singing songs about the size of Tiger Wood's testes among other things, he's a serious musician first. He's been called the "only thing to happen to folk music since Dylan." Might be a bit of an oversell, but not by much.

 The first time I saw him play live was in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'd just discovered him, so when he played a tune called "The Barber From Ann Arbor" I assumed  it was a deep cut I'd not yet heard he felt obiged to play because we were in Ann Arbor. A good song, not great. Three songs later, in the middle of one of his signature songs he stopped, apologized for forgetting the words because he was "still writing that barber song" in his head. I was blown away. 

Here he is covering the Boss's Thunder Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment